Welcome to Apps4Edmonton!
For residents, by residents
Every Edmontonian can be an active participant in reshaping our city.
Together with community partners the City of Edmonton is proud to launch Apps4Edmonton – a contest which encourages residents to develop applications that will benefit Edmontonians.
Accessible and transparent information has increasingly become a priority for both governments and citizens. All over the world people have been demanding increased access to government information. New technology has made these requests a possibility. Open Data is a priority for the City of Edmonton. After consultation with the community, we created the Edmonton Open Data Catalogue
in January, 2010. With lots of sets already up, we're adding more daily. Don't see what you want? Request
it, and we'll do our best to get it up there.
Now that we've put the data into your hands, we have a challenge for you.
What we're looking for
Using data sets from the Edmonton Open Data Catalogue
, we're challenging you to develop an app for either a smart phone, mobile device, or PC web browser.
Mash up a map, create a visualization, or analyze data in a new way, the choice is yours.
While we would like you to use at least one data set from the Catalogue, you don't have to. As long as you build an app that will enhance Edmonton you can use any data that is publicly available.
Help make Edmonton an even better city with your app. Inspiring innovation is important to us so we've decided to offer some great prizes. We have more than $50,000 in different prize money along with a chance to demo your app at the upcoming GTEC conference
, Canada's Government Technology event, in Ottawa. For more information, and a breakdown of the contest categories please visit Prizes
Edmonton International Film Festival Prize
|The Way We Live
|The Way We Grow
|The Way We Green
||Environmental Preservation and Sustainability
|The Way We Move
||Transit and Transportation
|The Way We Plan
|The Way We Prosper
In partnership with The Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival Apps4Edmonton is offering a Special Distinction Award for applications that use one of the datasets provided by the Edmonton International Fringe Festival includes:
- A Double Fringer Pass
- Invitations to the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival VIP reception
- Festival merchandise
- An app showcase at the Festival media launch
- Exclusive app use of the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival 2010 wordmark
How will the winners be chosen?
We are in the process of determining an expert judging panel comprised of both City of Edmonton and community representatives.
Judges will make their selections based on the following criteria:
- Accessibility – ability for the application to be used by a broad array of citizens
- Usability - usefulness and utility to citizens overall, or any particular demographic of users
- Creativity - originality, uniqueness and inventive nature of the application
- Number of community votes received
All criteria is weighted evenly.
What do the different contest categories mean? What, specifically, will qualify my app for it? Can my app be eligible for more than one category?
Edmonton’s City Council recently developed a new City Vision -a creative description of our City’s future that will help to set direction, guide decisions and align the priorities of the City of Edmonton. The City Vision paints a picture of how we imagine our city will look in 2040. These have been broken down into six strategic plans that deal with all things municipal.
Inspired by this vision, and the important role that residents play in making our vision come to fruition we have decided to create contest categories accordingly.
The Way We Live - how we aim to create a more liveable city
The Way We Grow - the City's strategic land use plan
The Way We Green - a blueprint for being an environmental leader
The Way We Move - a look at how the City will address future transportation needs
The Way We Plan - how we approach municipal planning
The Way We Prosper - this is anything and everything money related
If you feel that your app speaks to one or more of these plans, then check off the appropriate box(es) when submitting your app.
For more information about the strategic plans please visit http://edmonton.ca/transformingedmonton
What is a Proposal?
It's important for this contest to engage beyond the web development community. We need everyone's ideas on how we can leverage technology to make Edmonton an increasingly liveable city. So, we wanted this contest to be open to everyone. However, it's hard to judge ideas. They are all good! So what we've decided to do is reward you for taking the time to submit an idea. If you have a proposal for an app, but don't know how to build it, tell us anyway. If you do, you will be entered into a random draw to win an iPad.
Is my app eligible if it also uses commercial data?
As long as the commercial data is publicly available then you can feel free to use it.
How do I submit my ideas and application to the Challenge?
You will need to complete the form provided and include your first and last name, company name (if applicable), city, province, postal code, and e-mail address.
All applications must be hosted and publicly available on the entrant’s own website or a third-party website. All users submitting iPhone applications to this contest must make their applications publicly accessible by the contest entry deadline (11:59:59 a.m. MDT on Friday, August 27, 2010) via the Apple iPhone App Store, found at:http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/apps-for-iphone/.
Does my application need to work after the competition?
Yes, in order for there to be real value for residents all applications submitted to this contest must be made publicly accessible for a period of six months after the contest entry deadline.
Once I submit my application, does the City of Edmonton own my app, or do I?
We want you to prosper from your creation. Application developers retain ownership rights of their submitted applications and are permitted to sell the use of their applications commercially if they choose to do so.
Can I enter more than one idea or application to the contest?
Yes, we want to see all your ideas!
Who is eligible?
As long as you are a resident of Alberta and over the age of 18 you're eligible.
Can I enter as a team?
Yes, team work fosters creativity. Prize money will have to be shared with your team mates.
If my idea or app was largely developed years ago, can it qualify for this competition?
Yes, as long as it benefits Edmontonians, you are free to incorporate code that you have built/started/ launched in the past.
I am not a resident, can I enter?
Yes, if you are a resident of Alberta, but not of Edmonton, you are still eligible.
What happens if I want to make changes to my submission?
Your app will be hosted on third-party site you've set up. Feel free to change the app through the course of the competition. Just remembered that you will be judged on the app that exits at the close of the competition (11:59:59 a.m. MDT on Friday, August 27, 2010). If you need to make a change to your form, log into your account and make the appropriate changes before the end of the competition.
Apps4Edmonton thanks the following judges for taking the time to help out the initiative:
Brittney Le Blanc
No purchase necessary
This contest is open only to legal residents of Alberta and businesses located in Alberta. Members of the Apps4Edmonton organizing committee and members of the Apps4Edmonton judging panel are not eligible to enter. Contest begins 2:01:00 p.m. MDT on Tuesday, June 22, 2010 and closes 11:59:59 a.m. MDT on Friday, August 27, 2010. A voting period will follow the contest entry close. The voting period will start at 14:01:00 p.m. MDT on Friday, August 27, 2010 and close 11:59:59 a.m. MDT on Friday, September 10, 2010.
HOW TO ENTER
There are two ways to enter:
1) APPLICATION SUBMISSION for smart phones, mobile devices, or PC computers and completing the form found at: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/open_data/apps4edmonton.aspx. You will need to complete the form provided and include your first and last name, company name (if applicable), city, province, postal code, and e-mail address. All requested data must be provided for your entry to be valid and must be truthful and accurate. Entries will be deemed to be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized account holder" is deemed as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. No responsibility is assumed by The City of Edmonton for lost, late, misdirected, or incomplete entries or any computer, online telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur in the processing, transmission or receipt of entries.
Applications are allowed and recommended to use, but do not need to use a dataset from the city's Open Data Catalogue, found at: http://data.edmonton.ca/, in order to be eligible. All applications must be hosted and publicly available on the entrant’s own website or a third-party website. All users submitting iPhone applications to this contest must make their applications publicly accessible by the contest entry deadline (11:59:59 a.m. MDT on Friday, August 27, 2010) via the Apple iPhone App Store, found at: http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/apps-for-iphone/. Please ensure that your iPhone application is submitted to the Apple iPhone store well in advance of the contest deadline, as Apple generally delays the availability of submitted applications by one week or more. Apps4Edmonton will not extend the contest deadline to accommodate any participant whose iPhone application has not been made public on the Apple iPhone store by the contest entry deadline.
ALL APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED TO THIS CONTEST MUST BE MADE PUBLICLY ACCESSIBLE FOR A PERIOD OF SIX (6) MONTHS AFTER THE CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE. APPLICATION DEVELOPERS RETAIN OWNERSHIP RIGHTS OF THEIR SUBMITTED APPLICATIONS AND ARE PERMITTED TO SELL THE USE OF THEIR APPLICATIONS COMMERCIALLY IF THEY CHOOSE TO DO SO.
2) APPLICATION PROPOSAL and completing the form found at: http://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/open_data/apps4edmonton.aspx. You will need to complete the form provided and include your first and last name, city, province, postal code, and e-mail address. All requested data must be provided for your entry to be valid and must be truthful and accurate. Entries will be deemed to be made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized account holder" is deemed as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses or the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. No responsibility is assumed by The City of Edmonton for lost, late, misdirected, or incomplete entries or any computer, online telephone or technical malfunctions that may occur in the processing, transmission or receipt of entries. PARTICIPANTS ARE LIMITED TO TWO (2) APPLICATION PROPOSAL ENTRIES FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION OF THE CONTEST. ANY ADDITIONAL ENTRIES SUBMITTED WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND NOT ACCEPTED.
HOW TO WIN
There are two ways to win:
1) Random Draw from All Proposal Submissions
A random draw will be made from all application proposal submissions. A computer generated program will select the winner and send the winner’s name, email, and telephone number to a representative of the City of Edmonton who will then contact the winner. The draw will take place on Monday, September 13 and the winner will be awarded an Apple iPad (approximate value $549).
2) Best Applications As Selected By the Apps4Edmonton Judging Panel
A panel of community judges will select an application that best meets a set list of criteria (listed below) for each of the following categories:
|The Way We Live
|The Way We Grow
|The Way We Green
||Environmental Preservation and Sustainability
|The Way We Move
||Transit and Transportation
|The Way We Plan
|The Way We Prosper
Participants are allowed to target their applications to multiple categories if they so choose. A single application can be submitted for consideration under any or all categories, and it is possible for a single application to win prizes in multiple categories.
Additionally, prizes will be awarded to the best overall applications by the judging panel in the following ranking:
Judges will make their selections based on the following criteria:
(1) Accessibility – ability for the application to be used by a broad array of citizens
(2) Usability - usefulness and utility to citizens overall, or any particular demographic of users
(3) Creativity - originality, uniqueness and inventive nature of the application
(4) Number of community votes received
SELECTION OF WINNERS FOR THE APPLICATION SUBMISSION CONTEST WILL TAKE PLACE AFTER THE CLOSE OF COMMUNITY VOTING ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2010.
ALL PRIZE WINNERS MUST ANSWER A SKILL-TESTING MATHEMATICAL QUESTION IN ORDER TO RECEIVE his/her PRIZE. the city of edmonton will attempt to contact the winner for 5 consecutive working days. If no response is received by the end of that period, another winner will be selected.
the chanceS of winning the Random Draw WILL depend on the number of entries received. the chances of winning in the APPLICATION SUBMISSION categories will depend on the number of submissions in the categories, the number of votes received, AND THE QUALITY OF THE SUBMISSIONS.
Entrants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of the independent judging organization, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest. This Contest is governed by the laws of Canada. All federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations apply. All taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner. Prizewinner will be required to sign a standard declaration and release form confirming compliance with the contest rules and acceptance of the prize as awarded within one day of prizewinner successfully answering the skill-testing question. Non-compliance within this time period may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. Entrants further grant to The City of Edmonton the right to use and publish their proper name online and in print in any other media in connection with the Contest. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for The City of Edmonton to use winner's name and likeness for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. By entering, participants release and hold harmless The City of Edmonton, its parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, directors, officers, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this contest or prize won, including any travel related thereto.
If for any reason the Internet portion of program is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of The City of Edmonton which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, The City of Edmonton reserves the right at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the contest. The City of Edmonton assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. The City of Edmonton is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by The City of Edmonton on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participants’ or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this contest.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A CONTESTANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE CITY OF EDMONTON RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH CONTESTANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW
A Your Acceptance
- By using and/or visiting this website (collectively, including all content and functionality available through the Edmonton.ca/Apps4Edmonton domain, the "Apps4Edmonton Website", or "Website"), you signify your agreement to (1) these terms and conditions (the "Terms of Service"), (2) The City of Edmonton’s Apps4Edmonton privacy notice, found at http://www.Edmonton.ca/Apps4Edmonton/privacy and incorporated here by reference, and (3) Apps4Edmonton’s Community Guidelines, found at http://www.Edmonton.ca/Apps4Edmonton/communityguidelines and also incorporated here by reference, all of which constitute this Agreement. If you do not agree to any of these terms, the Apps4Edmonton privacy notice, or the Community Guidelines, please do not use the Apps4Edmonton Website.
- Although The City of Edmonton (“we”, or “Apps4Edmonton”) may attempt to notify you when major changes are made to these Terms of Service, you should periodically review the most up-to-date version http://www.Edmonton.ca/Apps4Edmonton/terms). The City of Edmonton may, in its sole discretion, modify or revise these Terms of Service and policies at any time, and you agree to be bound by such modifications or revisions. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to confer any third-party rights or benefits.
B Apps4Edmonton Website
- These Terms of Service apply to all users of the Apps4Edmonton Website, including users who are also contributors of applications and other materials or services on the Website. The Apps4Edmonton Website includes all aspects of Apps4Edmonton, including but not limited to all products, software and services offered via the website.
- The Apps4Edmonton Website may contain links to third party websites that are not owned or controlled by Apps4Edmonton. Apps4Edmonton has no control over, and assumes no responsibility for, the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third party websites. In addition, Apps4Edmonton will not and cannot censor or edit the content of any third-party site. By using the Apps4Edmonton Website, you expressly release Apps4Edmonton from any and all liability arising from your use of any third-party website, whether caused by the negligence of Apps4Edmonton or otherwise.
C General Use of the Website—Permissions and Restrictions
Apps4Edmonton hereby grants you permission to access and use the Website as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:
- You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Website, including but not limited to User Submissions (defined below), without Apps4Edmonton prior written authorization.
- You agree not to alter or modify any part of the Website.
- You agree not to use the Website for any commercial use, without the prior written authorization of Apps4Edmonton. Prohibited commercial uses include any of the following actions taken without Apps4Edmonton 's express approval:
- sale of access to the Website or its related services on another website;
- use of the Website or its related services, for the primary purpose of gaining advertising or subscription revenue;
- the sale of advertising, on the Apps4Edmonton website or any third-party website, targeted to the content of specific User Submissions or Apps4Edmonton content; and
- any use of the Website or its related services that Apps4Edmonton finds, in its sole discretion, to use Apps4Edmonton’ resources or User Submissions with the effect of competing with or displacing the market for Apps4Edmonton, Apps4Edmonton content, or its User Submissions. (For more information about prohibited commercial uses, see our FAQ.)
- Prohibited commercial uses do not include:
- any use that Apps4Edmonton expressly authorizes in writing.
- You agree not to use or launch any automated system, including without limitation, "robots," "spiders," or "offline readers," that accesses the Website in a manner that sends more request messages to the Apps4Edmonton servers in a given period of time than a human can reasonably produce in the same period by using a conventional on-line web browser. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Apps4Edmonton grants the operators of public search engines permission to use spiders to copy materials from the site for the sole purpose of and solely to the extent necessary for creating publicly available searchable indices of the materials, but not caches or archives of such materials. Apps4Edmonton reserves the right to revoke these exceptions either generally or in specific cases. You agree not to collect or harvest any personally identifiable information, including account names, from the Website, nor to use the communication systems provided by the Website (e.g. comments, email) for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Website with respect to their User Submissions.
- In your use of the Website, you will comply with the terms and conditions of these Terms of Service, Apps4Edmonton Community Guidelines, and all applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.
- Apps4Edmonton reserves the right to discontinue any aspect of the Apps4Edmonton Website at any time.
D Your Use of Content on the Site
In addition to the general restrictions above, the following restrictions and conditions apply specifically to your use of content on the Apps4Edmonton Website.
- The content on the Apps4Edmonton Website, except all User Submissions (as defined below), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like ("Content") and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein ("Marks"), are owned by or licensed to Apps4Edmonton, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under the law. Content on the Website is provided to you AS IS for your information and personal use only and may not be downloaded, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, or otherwise exploited for any other purposes whatsoever without the prior written consent of the respective owners. Apps4Edmonton reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Website and the Content.
- You may access User Submissions for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Apps4Edmonton Website. You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by Apps4Edmonton on the Apps4Edmonton Website for that User Submission.
- User Comments are made available to you for your information and personal use solely as intended through the normal functionality of the Apps4Edmonton Website. User Comments are made available "as is", and may not be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, transmitted, broadcast, displayed, sold, licensed, downloaded, or otherwise exploited in any manner not intended by the normal functionality of the Apps4Edmonton Website or otherwise as prohibited under this Agreement.
- You may access Apps4Edmonton Content, User Submissions and other content only as permitted under this Agreement. Apps4Edmonton reserves all rights not expressly granted in and to the Apps4Edmonton Content and the Apps4Edmonton Website.
- You agree to not engage in the use, copying, or distribution of any of the Content other than expressly permitted herein, or any use, copying, or distribution of User Submissions of third parties obtained through the Website for any commercial purposes.
- You agree not to circumvent, disable or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Apps4Edmonton Website or features that prevent or restrict use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on use of the Apps4Edmonton Website or the Content therein.
- You understand that when using the Apps4Edmonton Website, you will be exposed to User Submissions from a variety of sources, and that Apps4Edmonton is not responsible for the accuracy, usefulness, safety, or intellectual property rights of or relating to such User Submissions. You further understand and acknowledge that you may be exposed to User Submissions that are defective, harmful, offensive, indecent, or objectionable, and you agree to waive, and hereby do waive, any legal or equitable rights or remedies you have or may have against Apps4Edmonton with respect thereto, and agree to indemnify and hold Apps4Edmonton and all of its servants, agents, employees, contractors, licensors and those persons for whom it is at law responsible, harmless to the fullest extent allowed by law regarding all matters related to your use of the Website.
E Your User Submissions and Conduct
- As a Apps4Edmonton content contributor you may submit applications or application proposals. Applications and application proposals are collectively referred to as "User Submissions." You understand that whether or not such User Submissions are published, Apps4Edmonton does not guarantee any confidentiality with respect to any User Submissions.
- You shall be solely responsible for your own User Submissions and the consequences of posting or publishing them. In connection with User Submissions, you affirm, represent, and warrant that: you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Apps4Edmonton to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights in and to any and all User Submissions to enable inclusion and use of the User Submissions in the manner contemplated by the Website and these Terms of Service.
- For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions. However, by submitting User Submissions to Apps4Edmonton, you hereby grant Apps4Edmonton a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the Apps4Edmonton Website and Apps4Edmonton's (and affiliates') business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Apps4Edmonton Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the Apps4Edmonton Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The above licenses granted by you in applications terminate within a commercially reasonable time after you remove or delete your application from the your web hosting service. You understand and agree, however, that Apps4Edmonton may retain, but not display, distribute, or perform, server copies of User Submissions that have been removed or deleted. The above licenses granted by you in User Comments are perpetual and irrevocable.
- In connection with User Submissions, you further agree that you will not submit material that is copyrighted, protected by trade secret or otherwise subject to third party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless you are the owner of such rights or have permission from their rightful owner to post the material and to grant Apps4Edmonton and all users of the Apps4Edmonton Website all of the license rights granted as set out herein.
- You further agree that you will not, in connection with User Submissions, submit material that is contrary to the Apps4Edmonton’s Community Guidelines, found at http://www.Edmonton.ca/Apps4Edmonton/community_guidelines, which may be updated from time to time, or contrary to applicable local, national, and international laws and regulations.
- Apps4Edmonton does not endorse any User Submission or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and Apps4Edmonton expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with User Submissions. Apps4Edmonton does not permit copyright infringing activities and infringement of intellectual property rights on its Website, and Apps4Edmonton will remove all links and references to User Submissions if properly notified and satisfied that such User Submission infringes on another's intellectual property rights.
- Apps4Edmonton reserves the right to remove Content and any User Submissions or portions thereof from the Apps4Edmonton Website at any time, without prior notice and at its sole discretion, and you agree to hold Apps4Edmonton harmless in the event of such removal of Content or User Submission.
F Account Termination Policy
- Apps4Edmonton will terminate a User's access to its Website if, under appropriate circumstances, they are determined to be a repeat infringer.
- Apps4Edmonton reserves the right to decide whether Content or a User Submission is appropriate and complies with these Terms of Service for violations in addition to copyright infringement, such as, but not limited to, pornography, or obscene or defamatory material. Apps4Edmonton may remove such User Submissions and/or terminate a User's access for uploading such material in violation of these Terms of Service at any time, without prior notice and at its sole discretion.
- Counter-Notice. If you believe that your User Submission that was removed is not infringing, or that you have the authorization from the copyright owner, the copyright owner's agent, or pursuant to the law, to post and use the content in your User Submission, you may send a counter-notice containing the following information to the Copyright Agent:
- Your physical or electronic signature;
- Identification of the content that has been removed or to which access has been disabled and the location at which the content appeared before it was removed or disabled;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the content was removed or disabled as a result of mistake or a misidentification of the content; and
- Your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, a statement that you consent to the jurisdiction of the federal court in Edmonton, Alberta, and a statement that you will accept service of process from the person who provided notification of the alleged infringement.
If a counter-notice is received by the Copyright Agent, Apps4Edmonton may send a copy of the counter-notice to the original complaining party informing that person that it may replace the removed content or cease disabling it in 10 business days. Unless the copyright owner files an action seeking a court order against the content provider, member or user, the removed content may be replaced, or access to it restored, in 10 to 14 business days or more after receipt of the counter-notice, at Apps4Edmonton 's sole discretion.
H Warranty Disclaimer
YOU AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE Apps4Edmonton WEBSITE SHALL BE AT YOUR SOLE RISK. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, APPS4EDMONTON, ITS SERVANTS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS , AGENTS, AND THOSE FOR WHOM APPS4EDMONTON IS AT LAW RESPONSIBLE DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN CONNECTION WITH THE WEBSITE AND YOUR USE THEREOF. THE CITY OF EDMONTON MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THIS SITE'S CONTENT OR THE CONTENT OF ANY SITES LINKED TO THIS SITE AND ASSUMES NO LIABILITY OR RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE OR ANY LINKED WEBSITE OR APPLICATION, (III) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (IV) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (IV) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (V) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF THE USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE APPS4EDMONTON WEBSITE. APPS4EDMONTON DOES NOT WARRANT, ENDORSE, GUARANTEE, OR ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY PRODUCT OR SERVICE ADVERTISED OR OFFERED BY A THIRD PARTY THROUGH THE APPS4EDMONTON WEBSITE OR ANY HYPERLINKED WEBSITE OR FEATURED IN ANY BANNER OR OTHER ADVERTISING, AND APPS4EDMONTON WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. AS WITH THE PURCHASE OF A PRODUCT OR SERVICE THROUGH ANY MEDIUM OR IN ANY ENVIRONMENT, YOU SHOULD USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT AND EXERCISE CAUTION WHERE APPROPRIATE.
I Limitation of Liability
YOU AGREE THAT IN NO EVENT SHALL APPS4EDMONTON ITS SERVANTS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, AGENTS, OR PERSONS FOR WHOM IT IS AT LAW RESPONSIBLE BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM ANY (I) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (II) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUR WEBSITE OR ANY THIRD PARTY WEBSITE LINKED FROM OUR WEBSITE, (III) REMOVAL FROM THE WEBSITE OF ANY CONTENT OR USER SUBMISSION, (IV) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR SECURE SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (V) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM OUR WEBSITE, (VI) ANY BUGS, VIRUSES, TROJAN HORSES, OR THE LIKE, WHICH MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH OUR WEBSITE BY ANY THIRD PARTY, AND/OR (VII) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND INCURRED AS A RESULT OF YOUR USE OF ANY CONTENT POSTED, EMAILED, TRANSMITTED, OR OTHERWISE MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE APPS4EDMONTON WEBSITE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT YOUR ARE ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION OF LIABILITY SHALL APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
YOU SPECIFICALLY ACKNOWLEDGE THAT APPS4EDMONTON SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR USER SUBMISSIONS OR THE DEFAMATORY, OFFENSIVE, OR ILLEGAL CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY AND THAT THE RISK OF HARM OR DAMAGE FROM THE FOREGOING RESTS ENTIRELY WITH YOU.
The Website is controlled and offered by The City of Edmonton from its facilities in Canada. Apps4Edmonton makes no representations that the Apps4Edmonton Website is appropriate or available for use in other locations. Those who access or use the Apps4Edmonton Website from other jurisdictions do so at their own volition and are responsible for compliance with local law.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Apps4Edmonton, its servants, employees, contractors, agents, and those for whom it is at law responsible from and against any and all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debt, and expenses, including all legal fees arising from: (i) your use of and access to the Apps4Edmonton Website; (ii) your violation of any term of these Terms of Service; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or (iv) any claim that one of your User Submissions caused damage to a third party. This indemnification obligation will survive these Terms of Service and your use of the Apps4Edmonton Website.
K Ability to Accept Terms of Service
You affirm that you are either 18 years of age or older, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms of Service, and to abide by and comply with these Terms of Service. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the Apps4Edmonton Website is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the Apps4Edmonton Website. There are lots of other great web sites for you. Talk to your parents about what sites are appropriate for you.
These Terms of Service, and any rights and licenses granted hereunder, may not be transferred or assigned by you, but may be assigned by Apps4Edmonton without restriction.
You agree that: (i) the Apps4Edmonton Website shall be deemed solely based in Edmonton Alberta; and (ii) the Apps4Edmonton Website shall be deemed a passive website that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over Apps4Edmonton, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than Alberta. These Terms of Service shall be governed by the substantive laws of the Province of Alberta, without respect to its conflict of laws principles. Any claim or dispute between you and Apps4Edmontonthat arises in whole or in part from your use of the Apps4Edmonton Website shall be decided exclusively by a court of competent jurisdiction located in Alberta, Canada. These Terms of Service and any other legal notices published by Apps4Edmonton on the Website, shall constitute the entire agreement between you and Apps4Edmonton concerning the Apps4Edmonton Website. If any provision of these Terms of Service is deemed invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these Terms of Service, which shall remain in full force and effect. No waiver of any term of this these Terms of Service shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term, and Apps4Edmonton’s failure to assert any right or provision under these Terms of Service shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. Apps4Edmonton reserves the right to amend these Terms of Service at any time and without notice, and it is your responsibility to review these Terms of Service for any changes. Your use of the Apps4Edmonton Website following any amendment of these Terms of Service will signify your assent to and acceptance of its revised terms. YOU AND APPS4EDMONTON AGREE THAT ANY CAUSE OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE APPS4EDMONTON WEBSITE MUST COMMENCE WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES. OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.